Maya has been dedicated to the practice of family law since 2018. She is a trial lawyer who prides herself in delivering compassionate and intelligent legal representation to her clients. She specializes in all areas of family law, including dissolution, child custody and visitation, complex high-asset matters, post-judgment issues, and domestic violence.
Maya has handled domestic violence issues in marital and non-marital cases, representing those seeking protection and those accused of abuse. In one of Maya’s cases, notwithstanding her client’s inability to testify due to her medical conditions, Maya obtained permanent domestic violence restraining orders against abusers who continued to contact the client and disturbed her peace by going to her residence uninvited. In another case, Maya obtained emergency orders protecting an elderly father and assisted in resolving a high conflict dispute between members of a large, extended family.
Maya has appeared in courts throughout the San Francisco Bay Area, including Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties. As a certified law clerk, Maya represented clients at the Santa Clara County and Alameda County Public Defender’s Offices, an experience that has particular relevance to her work in domestic violence. She also served as a Judicial Intern for the Honorable Edward J. Davila, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
Professional & Community Contributions
La Raza Lawyers’ Charitable Foundation, Board Member (2018 to present)
- La Raza Lawyers of Santa Clara County, Board Member (2020)
Awards & Honors
- Northern California Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2021)
- Member of award-winning team, “The Best in Family Law,” The Recorder (2019)
- CALI Award for Future Excellence in Advanced Mediation, SCU Law (2018)
- John Bates, Jr. Dispute Resolution Award, SCU Law (2018)
- Panelist, “Ask Me Anything,” Latinx Law Student Association of Santa Clara University School of Law (2021)
- Panelist, Latina Power Hour: Mentorship Matters, The Latina Coalition (2020)
- Speaker, The Impact of Covid-19 on Family Law Matters, Santa Clara County Legal Professionals (SCCoLPA) seminar (2020)
- Speaker, Dedication Ceremony of Howard S. and Alida S. Charney Hall of Law, Santa Clara University School of Law (2018)
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District Court of California
- J.D., Santa Clara University School of Law (2018)
- B.A., University of Notre Dame (2012)